In 2008 Lothar Pirc was elected as the secretary general of EURAMA. As one of the pioneers of Ayurveda in Europe over the past 20 years, Lothar Pirc actively presents current scientific studies about Ayurveda to politicians nationally and internationally.
He played a significant role in the formation of EURAMA. Together with the president of EURAMA, Dr. Wolfgang Schachinger, he participated at the third and fifth International World Congress of Ayurveda in Jaipur and Bhopal in India. They served to introduce the association, helped develop joint goals and established important contacts to assure the accomplishment of all the tasks of the medical association.
The fundamental goals of EURAMA are:
- To promote and spread Ayurveda efficiently and rapidly in Europe.
- To establish the scientific foundation of the medical efficacy of Ayurveda, to achieve the scientific recognition that it deserves, and to provide greater appreciation for it and acceptance of it.
- To develop and define common training standards for Ayurveda medical doctors and therapists. For this, comprehensive lobbying and information activities on European and national levels are necessary.
- To create a legal platform so that the high quality and traditional Ayurveda medicinal herbal compounds can be continued to be distributed in Europe.
- To counteract the attempts of the pharmaceutical industry to hinder small companies from distributing natural remedies by having exorbitant conditions for research studies.
- To define common standards for the production of pure and organic quality Ayurveda products.
From left to right: Lothar Pirc, Dr. med. Wolfgang Schachinger, Dr. G.S. Lavekar, Director, Central Council for Research in Ayurveda and Siddha, Department of AYUSH, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India 2008.
Lothar Pirc with Dr. Devendra Triguna (son of Dr. B. D. Triguna) and Dr. Schachinger in front of the AYUSH office in 2012
Presentation of EURAMA for representatives of Indian medical drug producers and representatives of Ayurveda medical associations of different countries in 2008. Standing left Dr. med. Wolfgang Schachinger (President of EURAMA), right Lothar Pirc